Hallo! Freewind Fragen

Die Mutter dieses Forums.
canuck
schaut sich noch um
schaut sich noch um

Hallo! Freewind Fragen

Beitrag von canuck »

Hallo zusammen!

Mein name ist Stu, und ich komme aus Kanada. Ich bin neu bei xf650.com und auch neu in Deutschland. Gestern war ich bei die Strassenverkersamt.. da bekomme ich mein deutsche fuhrershein :lol: Ich bin sehr glucklich!!

also, mein deutsch ist kacke, so jetzt auf englisch..

I am thinking about a Freewind as my next motorbike, and am looking for info and recommendations. I like the look of the 97-99 (or 2000?) models the best.. and I believe there were no major upgrades or changes to the newer models?

The only problem I have heard of with the Freewind is the valve-cover leaking oil? Is this correct? Does it just require a new gasket?

How is this bike to service.. what are the oil change and valve adjustment intervals?

Is there anything that I should watch out for when checking the motorcycle?

I have a budget of around 2000 Euro, which seems to be enough to pick up a nice Freewind. I am in Muenster (NRW) and have been looking on ebay kleinanzeigen. Many for sale such as this http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/s ... i/u8892828

I am also considering an Aprilia Pegaso 650 - similar bike with a similar price, but I don't trust the Italian bike manufactures so much. I think the Freewind would be more reliable.

So, please any experiences (good and bad) are very much appreciated! :D

Liebegruesse,
Stu
vaty
Profi
Profi

Re: Hallo! Freewind Fragen

Beitrag von vaty »

Hi Stu :lol:

first of all: Heartly welcome to this forum :welcome:
Your German is really good. Try to write in German language. So everybody in this forum can read and can give a feedback to your questions.

To your questions:
The diffenrence between the models up to 2000 and after 2000 is a facelift only. The headlight inclusing cover has a different design. Engine, frame and so on are all the same.

yes, it is true, the valve cover can, but must not, leak. The cover has no gasket, it is sealed only. You can find a guide in the technic portal of this forum. See here:
http://www.xf650.de/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=859
When you are interested in a Freewind, please pay special attention to the valve cover. In case the cover is wetted by oil, a new resealing job is required. But again, there are a lot of bikers in this forum they was never seen a leaking valve cover, me too.

All service interval items are also descriped in the technic portal: http://www.xf650.de/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2738
If you have problems with the wording or the definition you can ask again.

Special technical problems with the Freewind:
- oil leakages at the engine, not only the valve cover.
- the headlight is often covered with dust from the inside. Repair instruction are available in this portal.
- some bikers reported corrosion at engine parts, especialle screws, and at the frame.

Regarding to the advertisement: The bike and the data seems to be good, but the price is for my understanding to high. Try to deal with the price and save 300 Euro.

Other advertisement:
http://www.autoscout24.de/Moto/Details. ... =212509270
http://www.autoscout24.de/Moto/Details. ... =213105552
Also have a look to http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/motorrad/

Good luck and have fun in Germany

Vaty
Xiphos
Spezialist
Spezialist

Beitrag von Xiphos »

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

vaty has already told you the most important stuff, I think.

I don't know much about the Pegaso instead that it's famous for it's thirst... :wink:
canuck
schaut sich noch um
schaut sich noch um

Beitrag von canuck »

Vielen dank fur ihre antworten!

ich suche noch auf ein perfekt Freewind :wink:
loop
Spezialist
Spezialist

Beitrag von loop »

Hi

Vielleicht ist auf 1000ps.de etwas in deiner Nähe und Preislage dabei.

Ansonsten viel Glück bei der Suche und noch viel mehr Spaß im besten Freewind-Forum der Welt. 8)
canuck
schaut sich noch um
schaut sich noch um

Beitrag von canuck »

loop hat geschrieben:Hi

Vielleicht ist auf 1000ps.de etwas in deiner Nähe und Preislage dabei.

Ansonsten viel Glück bei der Suche und noch viel mehr Spaß im besten Freewind-Forum der Welt. 8)
Das einzige freewind Forum in der Welt! :lol:

I have one more question.. The valve checks are to be done every 12,000 km's, correct?
How are the valves adjusted? Is it a "shim and bucket" system? (I hope not!)

If this information already exists, please direct me there!

Vielen dank,
Stu
vaty
Profi
Profi

Beitrag von vaty »

Hi Stu,

it´s correct. Valve clearance to be checked every 12.000 km.
The valve clearance has to be checked/adjusted by using a thickness gauge between the valve stem and the rocker arm.

Greetings
Vaty
canuck
schaut sich noch um
schaut sich noch um

Beitrag von canuck »

vaty hat geschrieben:Hi Stu,

it´s correct. Valve clearance to be checked every 12.000 km.
The valve clearance has to be checked/adjusted by using a thickness gauge between the valve stem and the rocker arm.

Greetings
Vaty

Sorry to be a pain... but to actually adjust the valves, what do you do?

Is it the type which is adjusted with a screw and locknut?

Or the type where you must "shim" (put in, or take out little pieces of metal) to adjust the valves?

Sorry this is probably confusing.. but I have no idea how to describe it in German!
vaty
Profi
Profi

Beitrag von vaty »

yes - it is the typ with screw and locknut. :lol:

Please have a look to your PN.

Vaty
paspartan
Profi
Profi

Beitrag von paspartan »

Greetings!

a brief experience i made when I was looking for a new bike:
The shop where i was looking, had a pegaso and the freewind next to each other. The feewind looked a little bit "more used". But even if the pegaso was very clean and also younger, I felt better with the freewind. It had some sort of "sturdier" charisma. After beeing asked the vendor perferred the xf for a daily moke ^^ Somehow he seemed not that convinced about the long-term durability of the pegaso. I did not regret the decision to buy the xf, allthough I have been experiencing the oil problem at the valve cap and the camchain tensioner these probs where manageable... :streichel:
canuck
schaut sich noch um
schaut sich noch um

Beitrag von canuck »

so! Ich habe ein Freewind gekauft! :P BJ 1999, 27,000 km's, ein besitzer, sehr guet zustand!
Jetzt habe ich 300 kilometer gefahren, und ein ding ist klar, ich hasse die Sitzbank!

Ich mochte das die Sitzbank hoher und flacher ist. Ich bin relativ gross (1,90 M), und finde die sitzbank sehr unbequem. Ich mochte auch die Lenker mehr vorne zu sein.

Kennt jemand wo kann ich ein andere Sitzbank kaufen, oder die anpassen?

anyway, here she is!
Dateianhänge
IMG_0421.JPG
IMG_0421.JPG (137.36 KiB) 4343 mal betrachtet
IMG_0422-1.JPG
IMG_0422-1.JPG (133.46 KiB) 4343 mal betrachtet
loop
Spezialist
Spezialist

Beitrag von loop »

Hi Canuck

So etwa wie diese Sitzbank im Foto unten.
Kannst du sicher bei einem Polsterer erledigen lassen............oder selber machen.
Den Unterbau hab ich selbst angepasst, den Bezug hat ein befreundeter Sattler aufgetackert.
Telefonmann
Benutzer
Benutzer

Beitrag von Telefonmann »

Hi Stu,
schicke Maschine :D

Meine Sitzbank habe ich beim Sattler (Jungbluth) bearbeiten lassen.
Echt gute Arbeit, hat sich gelohnt.

Gruß Telefonmann
Dateianhänge
DSCI0324.jpg
DSCI0324.jpg (104.73 KiB) 4330 mal betrachtet
Grüße aus dem NO-Berlin's
vom Telefonmann
bike-didi
Spezialist
Spezialist

Beitrag von bike-didi »

Hallo Stu,
ich hatte die gleichen Probleme... .
Meine Sitz habe ich bei Top Sellerie gekauft, haben die grad für 186 € im Angebot:
Sitzbank XF 650

Sieht dann bei mir so aus:
Bild

Eine Möglichkeit, um den Lenker weiter nach vorn zu legen gibt es bei SW Motech:
Vario-Verlegung

Ich habe dann auch noch einen breiteren Lenker angebaut:
Bild
Viele Grüße

Didi

Honda NC 700 X, Belgarda SZR 660, demnächst KTM Duke 390

Bild
canuck
schaut sich noch um
schaut sich noch um

Beitrag von canuck »

Hallo alle!

Noch mal, vielen dank fuer eure antworten.

Telefonmann - Ihre sitzbank sied sehr gut aus! Die ist wie ich moechte meine zu sein. Ist die Sitzbank bequem? Wie viel hat das bearbeiten bei Jungbluth gekostet?

Bike-didi - Der Lenker ding von Vario-Verlegung sind auch gut! Wie geht der Lenker Vibration jetzt?

Jetzt, ich habe nur meinen lenker ein bisschen nach vorne verlegt. Ich finde die sitz position jetzt ein bisschen besser. Die sitzbank ist auch okay...

Ich habe "Maintenance" mit mein motorrad gemacht. Neu Luftfilter, Benzin Schlauch.. Oel und Filter gewechselt, Zundkerzten gewechselt, Ventilspiel geprueft, blah blah blah..

Und dann "The test" - Muenster nach den Nuerburgring fur 24 stunden Rennen! Das war sehr kuehl! Ich habe richtig spass gemacht. Das Motorrad ist sehr gut gefahren, ungefahr 110 - 120 km/h - alles gut!

Ich moechte eventual, sitzbank, Lenker ding, "crash bars", koffer, ect kaufen und einen Reisen machen. Aber das ist eventual.. :D

Gruesse, Stu
Antworten